21 August 2010

B2Y2: Dolgellau to Shrewsbury: Rain stopped play

Bah. Got as far as Shrewsbury and then gave up.

It had rained incessantly since I started from Barmouth, and I was soaking and miserable. Mending punctures in driving rain with trench-foot is no fun.

En route I went over the Bwlch Oerddrws on the A470, one of the highest road passes in Wales, except all I could see was clouds of November grey and the tail-lights of lorries that had just cascaded me with puddle water.

I'd been aiming to stay at one of the youth hostels at Ironbridge, but they were closed for school groups, and the only alternatives were prohibitively expensive. With rather less liquidity in my pocket than there was in the air, I gave the whole thing up as a bad job and came home, smelling of wet road.

I'll do this route again properly when I'm in a better frame of mind. And when there's less of the Atlantic on top of me.

Miles today: 60
Miles since Barmouth: 72

1 comment:

  1. Oh pooh. But the weather's fine in the eastern half of the country.

    ReplyDelete