20 May 2014

M2H1: Craignure to Tobermory, Mull

A fine day of Hebridean scenery and single-track roads, that took me up the west side of Mull destined for Balam - er, Tobermory.

I kept running into minibus tour parties staring with binoculars at distant wildlife such as eagles, otters, and less elusive fauna such as Highland Cattle. Not far from the island of Ulva, I saw a white-tailed eagle out hunting just a hundred metres away, and had him all to myself. I felt rather thrilled.

Towards Bal - er, Tobermory - the roads, which had been fairly flat, got rather vertical. Descending one of the steeper roads I got a blowout. No big deal to replace the inner tube, but the midges that had been absent last night had clearly all gathered in anticipation of a cyclist too preoccupied with puncture repair to bother with deet sprays, and I got comprehensively munched.

I arrived at B - er, Tobermory - around half four. What a pleasant little place it is, with those famous multicoloured harbourfront buildings (inc the YH, where I'm staying), pleasant pubs, chip shops, a Co-op, and a souvenir shop called Tob - er, Balamory.

Miles today: 61

No comments:

Post a Comment