23 May 2014

M2H4: Oban to Lochgilphead

Another gorgeous day of fine weather and stunning scenery. I was ignoring Sustrans Route 78 for most of it, but I inadvertently followed it out of Oban (picture): a 12-mile slog into a headwind over hilly pasture.

Most of the day was a glorious lakeside circuit of Loch Awe (picture). The B840, running flat along the water's edge for 20 miles, was a delight. Lunch by the lake was chorizo from Oban Co-Op, £1.76 per pack, or £4 for two packs. I asked the lady on the till if this was right and she said Oh yes, they're good value some of these, do you have a membership card?

I stopped briefly at Kilmartin, where I'd investigated with Mark four years ago on my Cape Wrath to Dover ride. These are the famous funeral stones of local warriors, dating back 500 years (picture). I was disappointed to see that their helmets do not appear to conform to British Standard 1078.

I'm stopping at same campsite as we did then, in Lochgilphead. I'm planning to cycle along the nearby Crinan Canal tomorrow, and so had to buy a pint of Crinan Classic in the Argyll Arms to reconnoitre the route (picture).

Miles today 62
Miles so far 253

No comments:

Post a Comment